Thursday, January 10, 2013

The DNA DIlemma: My View on Genetic Testing

When reading  "The DNA Dilemma: A Test That Could Change Your Life," I was very surprized. I didn't even know that we had the technology to test every single chromosome! I found it very interesting how a child screened for a kidney disease could be told that they are at risk for colon cancer at the same time. Or how a mother who is at risk for cancer could pass down those same genes to her children. 

Let's say you got tested for one thing, but they also find that you have an increased chance of developing cancer when you are older. Would you want to know? And even if you don't, should the doctors still tell you? These are the questions that geneticists and doctors have to face when genetic testing is done. 

First, let's take the place of a doctor who has just found an increased risk of cancer in adulthood in a four year old. Should you tell the parents and the child, or both and let the parents decide whether or not to tell the child? Should you even tell them at all? There is only a chance that it will happen, and there is no need to make them worry all the time. But don't they have a right to know? I think that you shouldn't tell them, because you don't want to make them worry about something that there is only a chance of. It might not even happen. Plus, they'll have to report it to the insurance company and pay more. It would only do harm, and you want to "do no harm."

Next, let's view the problem from the parents' point of view. Again, doctors have just found an increased chance of cancer in you child that may or may not happen. Would you want to know? Would you tell your child, or should you? Is it your duty as a parent to know your child's health problems whether or not they are active or are going to happen? When put in the situation of the parent, I would want to know. This is because I believe that parents have the right to know the health of their child, or increased risks of diseases. However, I would not tell my child that they are going to have cancer in the future and have them worrying about it their whole lives.

Finally, let's take the perspective of the child. Would you want to know if you had an increased chance of cancer? Maybe when you are older, but I would not want to know that if I was 10 years old. I wouldn't even think of telling a child, unless it was definite. 

That's just my opinion, though. It depends on your own values and morals, that's ethics. 


1 comment:

  1. Hey Hailey, great post! I just do not agree with the fact that you would not tell the patients anything. I feel that they have a right to know and it would be your responsibility to tell them as a doctor. Very well written!

    ReplyDelete